Silverfish are about 1/2 inch long, with a uniform silvery color. They are long, flat and slender.
Biology and Habits
● Silverfish like dark, moist environments.
● They feed on wallpaper pastes, natural textiles, books, papers, mold and fungi.
● Once silverfish find a good food source, they stay close to it.
● They are more active at night and are active anytime in dark areas.
Symptoms and Damage
● Silverfish can damage book bindings, wallpaper, paper goods and dry foods. They may eat holes, irregular shaped in the wallpaper to get to the paste.
● They may leave a yellowish stain on fabric.
● Outside, they may be found in nest of insects, birds, mammals, and under tree bark and mulch. They can also be found in wood shingles or sidings on houses, they may enter the home from these.